Archive for the ‘Cabinets’ Category

Kitchen Cabinets (Part 3)

February 7, 2011

I know it has been a while since I have posted anything on here.  I have been busy lately but a lot of the time I have still been making things.  I will post tomorrow a few more items that I have crocheted, including a free pattern.  I also have been working on a pair of cigar gloves.  I have found that there aren’t many CROCHET patterns for gloves.  There are plenty of mittens but, seriously, how many guys out there wear mittens (probably same ones that crochet and knit…HEY SHUT UP OUT, YOU DON’T KNOW ME!).  Anyway, I have also been dabbling in felting.  I am currently working on a hat that I will crochet out of Fisherman’s Wool and then felt it. 

Without further interruption here is the second installment of my kitchen cabinet makeover.  I finally finished painting the bottom cabinets.  All I have left to do is paint the doors, install the frosted glass in the top cabinets, and add the brushed nickel hardware.

It’s not the best photo but it gets the job done.  Now, you will notice that I didn’t paint the inside of the bottoms cabinets.  I tell you what…painting the insides of the uppers was a pain in the rear.  since I will not be putting glass in the lowers I felt that it wasn’t necessary to paint them.  The one on the far left is painted because it was bare plywood.  Just a few more steps and I will be done.

Kitchen Cabinets (Part 2)

January 29, 2011

So I have removed all the upper cabinets’ doors, and removed the panels out of them.  Well, I have now painted the upper cabinets.  There was no real science to it.  I prepped the cabinets by cleaning and sanding them.  Then I primed and painted two coats, sanding between coats with a fine (220 grit) sandpaper.  The inside of the cabinets I painted white because I was afraid that the frosted glass would show differently if some were darker on the inside.  I painted two coats of white but that didn’t quite cover it completely.  I’m not too worried though because it IS the inside of the cabinet.  If I decide to get anal about it later I can always add another coat.  Anyway, they turned out nice! I am happy with it.

Kitchen Cabinets (Part 1)

January 25, 2011

This is the first installment of many for my Green without a lot of Green Kitchen Makeover.  I am currently in the process of renovating my kitchen.  I appreciate the “Going Green” trend and I will try to incorporate as much green into my kitchen as possible.

First of all here is a couple of before pictures of my kitchen.

Don’t mind the mess.  So far my plans include refinishing the kitchen cabinets.  Now I figured that being green involved salvaging these hideous cabinets and turning them into something good.  For some time, I have thought about painting them.  I wanted to paint them black but my wife had other plans.  So we compromised…she picked brown.  It is fine with me, because I am cutting out the center panel and replacing it with frosted glass.  I prefer opalescent because my dishes are a bit of an eye sore and I think that the glass will serve a dual purpose: very decorative yet covers the ugly dishes. 

Furthermore, I added a few cabinets.  To the left of the oven I added an 18 inch upper and lower cabinets, as well as a cabinet over the refrigerator.  The over-the-fridge cabinet and upper, 18-inch cabinet were donated to me by a friend of mine because he completely renovated his kitchen.  Instead of going to a landfill they are going to my kitchen.  As for the lower, 18-inch cabinet, I tried to salvage one from a local thrift store and didn’t have any luck. It was just too nasty.  The wood was beginning to rot on the bottom.  So I was forced to purchase one at Menards.  It was on sale for only $55, but it was totally worth it.

Last weekend I removed the center panels from the doors on the upper cabinets (the lower cabinet doors will just be painted).  Basically I used a 1/4-inch router bit and a router to removed the inside lip of the groove that the panel rested in.  Once it was removed the panel just popped right out. 

I first made a rest that the router ran along (see below).  I then clamped the door to the worktable to ensure that it didn’t move. 

I finished all four sides.  There were a few staples that held the panel in place, but other than that it just popped right out. 

I felt this was a very easy project.  I tried to be a lackidaisical and quick as possible, and I didn’t screw anything up.  One thing I did learn was to let the router cut the wood for you.  I tried to rush it a few times and it nearly split the wood frame in places where it shouldn’t be split.  I nearly ruined the door.  Just take your time and you’ll do just fine. I had 8 doors and it only took me about and hour and a half to get all the panels out.

Next on the agenda for the cabinets is to prep them for paint.  To be continued…